As written in the 40th Anniversary service folder
1947 - 1987
The first service of Good Shepherd Ev. Lutheran Church was held on March 16, 1947. It was held in a house at 1634 W. Encanto Blvd
., which had been purchased by the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod as a residence for the pastor. The service was copnducted by the Rev. Victor C. Schultz
, who had arrived in January 1947 to establish a new church in what was then the northwest corner of Phoenix.
Nineteen people were in attendance.
After three services in the parsonage, the new congregation transferred their services to Franklin School at 17th Avenue & McDowell Rd. It continued to meet there until December 21, 1947, when its first building was dedicated
at 7th Avenue & Earll Drive. Formal organization of the congregation, with the election of officers and the adopting of a constitution took place on October 8, 1947.
A Christian day school was opened in the same building on September 13, 1948, with enrollment of 28 children, taught by one teacher. A classroom wing was added to this building in the spring of 1950. A principal, Mr. Kurt R. Peterman
, was called to head the school in the summer of 1950, and teachers were added to the faculty as the school's enrollment increased. The teacherage located at 808 W. Earll Drive was purchased in January 1953 as a residence for the principal and his family.
Pasror Schultz continued to serve the congregation until May, 1952 when he followed a call to Wisconsin, the membership having attained a size of approximately 100 communicant members. Pastor I. G. Frey
was called from Douglass, Arizona to succeed him. He was installed
on the first sunday in October, 1952.
The original building with its classroom wing continued to serve as church, school and parish hall until November 27, 1960, when the present church building
, seating approximately 325 people was dedicated.
A restroom-storageroom was added to the school in the summer of 1970, and a classroom-principal's office-workroom
was completed in the summer of 1971.
The opriginal parsonage at 1634 W. Encanto Blvd. was sold in the summer of 1969 and a new one was completed adjacent to the church property at 714 W Avalon Drive in February 1970.
On November 28, 1981, the Rev. David J. Farley
as pastor of Good Shepherd. In September of 1983 a fire caused substantial damage to the parish hall, which resulted in the remodeling of the interior. During the seven weeks of remodeling, St. Thomas congregation graciously offered the use of its facilities so that classes could continue. A new constitution also ushered in evengelism, stewardship and elder's committees.
In 1984 new fence walls were added to the church and parsonage yards to complete the courtyard and playground boundaries. In 1985 the congregation sold the teacherage on Earll Drive and used the funds to retire its debt to the Church Extension Fund. On June 15, 1986, Pastor Farley conducted his farewell service at Good Shepherd, having been led by the Lord to serve in His kingdom in a new mission at Bakersfield, CA.
On August 24, 1986, Pastor Terry A Deters
, coming from Trinity Lutheran Church, Brillion, WI, was installed
as the fourth pastor in the history of Good Shepherd. In the fall of 1987 a Pre-school and After Care program was added to the educational programs of our elementary school.
As of July, 1987, the membership of Good Shepherd stands at 213 baptized souls, of which 166 are communicant member Current enrollment in the school is 46.
Our church records reveal that over the past 40 years 395 persons were baptized, 363 confirmed and 162 couples were married by our pastoes. Christian burials numbered 46.
ADDITIONAL FACTS AND RECOGNITION
FOR THAT TIME
Women Teachers who have Served
We have been further blessed to have a ready supply of ladies that have put in endless hours to assist us as parents to bring up children in the way they should go. They have all been a tremendous blessing to the children and to the congregation. They are as follows:
Mrs. Ruth Cook, Mrs. Marie Raaths, Miss Esther Oestreich, Miss Elvira Krueger, Miss Lynnette Johannpeter, Mrs Joyce McDonald, Miss Carol Matsunaga, Miss Joyce Shorer, Miss Karen Drake, Miss Yvonne Weindorf, Mrs Charmaine Widmann, Miss Paullette Zahrt, Miss Karen Sheriff, Miss Eileen (Lincoln) Davis, Mrs. Wynn Pratt, Mrs. Betty Reaume, Miss Judith Walther, Mrs. Marsha Found, Mrs. Lila Sprague, Mrs. Glenda Steffenhagen, Mrs. Janet Mischke, Mrs. Murien Tech, Mrs Carol Plath, Mrs. Monica Beatrice, Mrs Barbara Jaehnig, Mrs Carla DeFrain, Miss Kelley Dahl & Mrs Laurie Easley.
As I uncover pictures of the ladies, they shall be added.